SAMUEL PRIDEAU X TREGELLES (1813-1875), English theologian, was born at Wodehouse Place, near Falmouth, on the 30th of January 1813. His parents were Quakers, and he himself for many years was in communion with the (Darbyite) Plymouth Brethren, but afterwards became a Presbyterian.
Dodona; the sacred oak of which the Argo was built); also (b) it was believed that the divine essence could be made to enter - transubstantiated as it were - into an image (cf. Rameses II. and his idols; see Breasted, Egypt. Hist. Doc. iii. 179, note; and for analogies see Folk-Lore, viii. 325).
1 Even the Hebrews knew of the good-will of "Him who dwelt in the bush" (Deut. xxxiii. 16). For ideas associating Yahweh (Jehovah) with trees, see J. G. Frazer, Anthrop. Essays to E. B. Tylor (1907), p. 125 seq.
See Chadwick 33, 35; Frazer, Lectures, 225; and Hartland ii. 181, 184 (who refers to the tree-worship taken over by St Maree and St Etto). Even the temples of Dodona and of Jupiter Capitolinus stood on the sites of older tree-worship.
For a while he worked at the ironworks, Neath Abbey, Glamorgan, and then set. up as a private tutor in Falmouth, finally devoting himself to a laborious student life, until he was incapacitated by paralysis in 1870. He received the LL.D. degree from St Andrews and a pension of 200 from the civil list. He died at Plymouth on the 24th of April 1875.
Most of his numerous publications had reference to his great critical edition of the New Testament (1857-1872; see Bible; New Testament, Textual Criticism). They include an Account of the Printed Text of the Greek New Testament (1854), a new edition of T. H. Horne's Introduction (1860), and Canon Muratorianus: Earliest Catalogue of Books of the New Testament (1868). As early as 1844 he published an edition of the Book of the Revelation, with the Greek text so revised as to rest almost entirely upon ancient evidence. Tregelles wrote Heads of Hebrew Grammar (1852), translated Gesenius's Hebrew Lexicon, and was the author of a little work on the Jansenists (1851) and of various works in exposition of his special eschatological views (Remarks on the Prophetic Visions of Daniel, 1852,1852, new ed., 1864).
Treguier, a port of western France, in the department of Cotes-du-Nord, 36 m. N.W. of St Brieuc by road. Pop. (1906), 2605. The port is situated about 51 m. from the English Channel at the confluence of two streams that form the Treguier river; it carries on fishing and a coasting and small foreign trade. The cathedral, remarkable in having three towers over the transept, one of which is surmounted by a fine spire, dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. It contains the sumptuous modern mausoleum of St Yves (d. 1303), a canon of the cathedral, the building of which was largely due to him. To the south of the church there is a cloister (latter half of the 15th century) with graceful arcades. There is a statue of Ernest Renan, a native of the town. Saw-milling, boat-building and flaxstripping are carried on, together with trade in cereals, cloth, potatoes, &c.
Treguier (Trecorum), which dates from the 6th century, grew up round a monastery founded by St Tugdual. In the 9th century it became the seat of a bishopric, suppressed in 1790.
- Please bookmark this page (add it to your favorites)
- If you wish to link to this page, you can do so by referring to the URL address below.
This page was last modified 29-SEP-18
Copyright © 2018 ITA all rights reserved.