ABC logo

. Index

. Flag

. Geography

. People

. Government

. Economy

. Transportation

. Commun'tions

. Defense

. Geo Names

. Feedback

===========

Ad

Cyprus


    • Population:

        total:
        736,636 (July 1995 est.) (78% Greek, 18% Turk, 4% other)

        Greek area:
        602,656 (July 1995 est.) (94.9% Greek, 0.3% Turk, 4.8% other)

        Turkish area:
        133,980 (July 1995 est.) (2.1% Greek, 97.7% Turk, 0.2% other)

    • Age structure:

        0-14 years:
        26% (female 92,179; male 97,723)

        15-64 years:
        64% (female 234,929; male 236,693)

        65 years and over:
        10% (female 42,190; male 32,922) (July 1995 est.)

    • Population growth rate:
      0.88% (1995 est.)

    • Birth rate:
      16.27 births/1,000 population (1995 est.)

    • Death rate:
      7.48 deaths/1,000 population (1995 est.)

    • Net migration rate:
      0 migrant(s)/1,000 population (1995 est.)

    • Infant mortality rate:
      8.6 deaths/1,000 live births (1995 est.)

    • Life expectancy at birth:

        total population:
        76.47 years

        male:
        74.19 years

        female:
        78.85 years (1995 est.)

    • Total fertility rate:
      2.3 children born/woman (1995 est.)

    • Nationality:

        noun:
        Cypriot(s)

        adjective:
        Cypriot

    • Ethnic divisions:

        total:
        Greek 78% (99.5% of the Greeks live in the Greek area; 0.5% of the Greeks live in the Turkish area), Turkish 18% (1.3% of the Turks live in the Greek area; 98.7% of the Turks live in the Turkish area), other 4% (99.2% of the other ethnic groups live in the Greek area; 0.8% of the other ethnic groups live in the Turkish area)

    • Religions:
      Greek Orthodox 78%, Muslim 18%, Maronite, Armenian Apostolic, and other 4%

    • Languages:
      Greek, Turkish, English

    • Literacy:
      age 15 and over can read and write (1987 est.)

        total population:
        94%

        male:
        98%

        female:
        91%

    • Labor force:

        Greek area:
        285,500

        by occupation:
        services 57%, industry 29%, agriculture 14% (1992)

        Turkish area:
        74,000

        by occupation:
        services 52%, industry 23%, agriculture 25% (1992)






Thank you for making this an award winning site

Please put this page in your BOOKMARKS - - - - -




ITA Home Page
The IMMIGRATION Superhighway Feedback

ITA WWWDesign
Flags of all Countries
Yahoo search

Revised 13-August-1997